No products in the cart.
Having a pet can change your life for the better in so many ways. Pets reduce stress, help lower blood pressure and are just plain fun to be around.
At Canvas Chameleons, our specialty is pets of a more scaly variety, but that doesn’t mean we don’t also love spending quality time with furry friends. If you’re looking to add a cat or dog to your family, please consider adopting from an animal rescue or shelter as your first choice. Let’s look at the most important reasons to adopt, not shop.
Top 5 Reasons to Adopt a Shelter Pet
- You’ll save a life. According to the U.S. Humane Society, 2.7 million adoptable pets are euthanized in shelters across the country annually. This number could be drastically reduced if more people considered adoption instead of buying from a pet store. When you adopt, you provide a loving home for a wonderful cat or dog and free up shelter space for another animal who might be in desperate need.
- You’ll be fighting puppy mills and irresponsible pet breeding practices. One of the reasons for this high rate of euthanasia is that there just aren’t enough homes for all the animals born every year. Well-meaning people who fail to have their animals spayed and neutered and who allow their pets to reproduce are part of this problem, as are negligent breeders. Puppy mills are the pinnacle of unethical breeding behavior. At these commercial kennels, mother dogs produce litter after litter of puppies in the name of profit. These puppy mills often abuse the animals, kill the mothers after they are no longer of breeding age and deprive their dogs of any chance to learn normal behavior and socialization.
- Many of the animals are already trained. Animal shelters and rescue groups are full of fantastic pets just waiting for someone to take a chance on them. Most adult pets arrive in shelters due to a human problem like a move or a divorce, not because there’s anything wrong with them. Many of these pets are already potty-trained and socialized to live with people, which can also save you time and money on training.
- You can find the perfect pet for your home. With the millions of shelter animals who need a great home, there’s sure to be one who is just right for you. When you adopt an animal from a shelter, you can meet the animals, play with them and get to know their personalities before bringing them home. Staff members will be happy to work with you to help you find a dog or cat who matches your needs in terms of size and temperament. This typically isn’t the case if you order a puppy or kitten from a breeder elsewhere in the country.
- Adoption will cost you less. Usually, when you adopt a pet, the shelter will include spaying/neutering, first vaccinations and sometimes even micro-chipping in the adoption price. This can save you money on some of the upfront costs of pet ownership.
If you’re looking for unconditional love and support, there’s nothing like adopting a pet to find a friend who will always be there for you. Get started on your journey to pet adoption with this guide from our friends at Homeoanimal.com.